Saturday, April 16, 2011

Live for Others and you are Automatically Taken care-of

 We all get into situations where we have to do things, which conflict with our self-respect. For instance, apologizing to a slick, dishonest manipulator who is clearly on the wrong side. In such cases, i completely set aside my self and think that i'm doing it only for sake of my dependents. I remind myself that it is the people who depend on me who will be at a greater loss, if i don't. My grandmother used to tell me that my grandfather also used to get into similar situations but used to take the loss instead of doing what he thought was incorrect. My grandmother used take pains to explain to him that what matters is whether we get what we want out of it and not how we are treated. But my grandfather always followed his heart. At least in this respect, i have a similar chemistry as my grandfather. But i overcome that chemistry by this thought of living for others. In the process it saves me too.

This is an example of how living for others will intrinsically take care of the self. People living only for themselves hardly have any motivation to do anything. It is always the thought of doing something for others - impressing them or otherwise that propels action. Others are always the underlying force of motivation.

Selfless living is more enriching and soul-satisfying than selfish living. Vishnu Pendyala

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When you pray for others, God listens to you and blesses them, and sometimes, when you are safe and happy, remember that someone has prayed for you.